Tuesday 12 April 2011

lcd soundsystem - back from the dead?



Hello, long time no speak! With less than a month to complete my dissertation I have found myself rather busy. On a break from researching the career of Pope Innocent III yesterday I spent some time listening to my LCD Soundsystem CD's and reminiscing on the two occasions that I had the pleasure to see them live. Firstly in 2005 at Reading Festival, at a time when 'Daft Punk Is Playing At My House' was easily my summer anthem, and at last years Coachella Festival, when again James Murphy (in a dashing white tuxedo) was easily one of my festival highlights. Youtube footage of the bands final show left me a little sad, but knowing that I had seen the band at two of my favorite festivals and that i had shared the experience with thousands of others who felt the same way as me more than made up for this small moment of melancholy. Feeling happy with the CD's I own and the memories I carry of this once glorious electro force I happily moved on from my mourning.

Imagine my surprise this afternoon when up on my facebook feed pops a post from HRO exclaiming 'R U effing kidding me James Murphy'. Despite retiring just under two weeks ago the band have released a new track, an elongated cover of Franz Ferdinand's 'Live Alone' in true LCD style. Not being a fan of Franz Ferdinand I believe it is a great improvement on the original, but this could easily be down to my own personal bias. The track is set for release on an EP of Franz Ferdinand covers this weekend on Record Store Day. Below you will find the link, so feel free to decide for yourself. Unlike Carles of HRO I think it is safe to say that LCD Soundsystem are well and truly dead, although there may be a few surprises in store in the future, through the means of leaked unreleased tracks and such. Also it is unlikely that front man James Murphy will completely wash his hands of music, especially as he is rumored to be touring with DJ sets.

Below you will find videos of my favorite LCD tracks and a link to 'Live Alone'.

All My Friends
Tribulations
New York I Love You
I Can Change

 'Live Alone' Franz Ferdinand Cover
HRO Article

No comments:

Post a Comment